Thursday, January 16, 2014

2013 was a tough year, however Max had top surgery (finally)

2013 was a tough year, hence no posting. It was my health that caused the year to be so tough. To summarise, my stomach stopped working (gastroparesis) and I would have terrible bouts of vomiting that could last from 2 to 8 hours. I ended up losing 18 kilos at my worst - 59kg was my original weight and I got down to 41kgs. I was hospitalised 7 times in 2013 and had a nasogastric tube twice. I am currently 44kgs and live of medical supplement drinks and a small variety of foods that I can digest. We never know how eating will go for me day to day. Every day can be a struggle with keeping my weight stable, because once I hit 42kgs I have to go to hospital to get feed (nasogastric tube). I try very hard to avoid it, but I just don't have the control that I wish I had. I have also found out that I have Endler-Danlos Syndrome - Hypermobility Type (AKA Joint Hypermobility Syndrome) this could be the cause of my gastroparesis and a few other symptoms (migraines, blood pressure problems, muscle pain, joint dislocations etc). Max has done an excellent job looking after me. Max had top surgery on the 15th of November 2013. It has been a very positive experience, besides the first few days of recovery and having to have drainage tubes coming out of your chest for 4 days. It is amazing how much Max's new chest really suits him. It looks like this is the way it should have always been, and I guess that is true. I have been able to buy him new shirts without worrying how they will sit over his binder, and how comfortable he will feel in it. We had been delaying the surgery for so long, but it was so worth it, and not a tough experience as we thought it would be. My arthritis is well treated at the moment (thank goodness) on a medication called MabThera. I started it January 2013 and it took a few months to work. To be honest I hardly noticed as I was so distracted by my stomach problems. I would prefer joint pain over non-stop nausea any day, but I am thankful that my joints are hardly bothering me.

No comments:

Post a Comment